Help Wanted at The Tool Shed
Help Wanted at the Tool Shed
(original post January 25, updated February 3, 2020)
The Tool Shed, Milwaukee’s premiere source for quality sex toys and sexuality education, is seeking a part-time paid staff person to assist with in-store retail sales. For this position, we are seeking an applicant who is fluent in both Spanish and English. Hours offered include approximately 20 hours per week.
Applicants must be very comfortable working in an environment where topics around sex and sexuality are frankly and openly discussed with customers. Applicants must also be comfortable with a wide range of
people with varying sexual preferences, gender identities and presentations, and relationship styles.
TOOL SHED TEAM MEMBER DUTIES
• Maintains open, friendly, and comfortable atmosphere for all customers
• Helps customers understand and choose appropriate products that suit their needs, both in the store and over the phone
• Listens carefully to customer questions and concerns
• Provides knowledgeable answers about products and their use (training on product knowledge is provided)
• Participates in ongoing on-the-job training about products and topics in the sexuality field
• Processes transactions at the cash register, including cash and credit card sales
• Reconciles cash register totals at the end of shift
• Stocks product for retail display and organizes overstock product
• Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of retail environment
• Picks and quality-checks products from stock to fulfill online and phone orders
• Attends mandatory monthly staff meetings
• Participates in educational opportunities, reads publications, participates in networks and organizations
dedicated to furthering knowledge around sex, sexuality, and gender identity
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Ability to speak Spanish and English fluently
• Experience in sexuality/gender-related education or sexual-health related work is a plus (this can be related unpaid volunteer or organizing work, if applicable)
• Retail sales experience is a plus
• Ability to work independently and accurately
• Ability to assimilate new information and training quickly
• Strong attention to detail
• Punctuality and reliability
• Comfort in conversation with all kinds of people
• Basic math skills
• Basic computer skills, comfort using web-based browser interfaces
• Comfort working closely with a team
• The ability to lift and move boxes of up to 40 pounds
• The ability to frequently climb stairs
• Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
The Tool Shed is committed to providing accurate and affirming information about sexuality and sexual health within our Milwaukee-area community. We believe it is vital to lift up the voices, experiences, and wisdom of people of color, LGBQ people, and trans and non-binary people in the work of sexuality education. We strongly encourage applications from people who are members of those communities.
To submit your application electronically:
Submit a PDF copy of your cover letter and résumé via email to [email protected] Please put “Tool Shed February 2020 Job Application” in the email’s subject line. PLEASE SEND ALL ATTACHMENTS AS PDF. If you cannot save your files as PDF, please print and submit your cover letter and résumé as described below.
To submit your application in printed form:
Mail or drop off a printed cover letter and résumé at the Tool Shed, 2427 N Murray Ave., Milwaukee. Our regular hours of operation are 12pm–8pm Monday through Saturday, 12pm–5pm Sunday.
Thank you for your interest!