Help Wanted at The Tool Shed
Help Wanted at the Tool Shed
Posted May 10, 2023 (Updated May 17, 2023)
The Tool Shed, Milwaukee’s premiere source for quality sex toys and sexuality education, is seeking a part-time staff member to assist with in-store retail sales. The position offers 16-21 hours per week. Saturdays are required; please do not apply if you cannot commit to working regular Saturdays.
Applicants must be very comfortable working in an environment where topics around sex and sexuality are frankly and openly discussed with customers. Applicants must also be comfortable with a wide range of people with varying sexual preferences, gender identities and presentations, and relationship styles.
TOOL SHED TEAM MEMBER DUTIES
• Maintains open, friendly, and comfortable atmosphere for all customers
• Helps customers understand and choose appropriate products that suit their needs, both in the store and over the phone
• Listens carefully to customer questions and concerns
• Provides knowledgeable answers about products and their use (training on product knowledge is provided)
• Participates in ongoing on-the-job training about products and topics in the sexuality field
• Processes transactions at the cash register, including cash and credit card sales
• Reconciles cash register totals at the end of shift
• Stocks product for retail display and organizes overstock product
• Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of retail environment
• Picks and quality-checks products from stock to fulfill online and phone orders
• Attends mandatory monthly staff meetings
• During work hours (as is feasible), participates in educational opportunities, reads publications, AND engages with networks and organizations dedicated to furthering knowledge around sex, sexuality, and gender identity
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience in sexuality/gender-related education or sexual-health related work is preferred (this can be related unpaid volunteer or organizing work, if applicable)
• Ability to speak Spanish and English fluently is a plus
• Must be available to work at least one regular Saturday shift from 12pm-8pm
• Must be available on at least one other day of the week to work another regular shift during our store hours of 12pm-8pm (12-5 Sundays)
• Retail sales experience is a plus
• Ability to work independently and accurately
• Ability to assimilate new information and training quickly
• Strong attention to detail
• Punctuality and reliability
• Comfort in conversation with all kinds of people
• Basic math skills
• Basic computer skills, comfort using web-based browser software interfaces
• Comfort working closely with a team
• The ability to lift and move boxes of up to 40 pounds
• The ability to frequently climb stairs
• Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
PAY AND BENEFITS
• Hourly pay starts at $16.10 per hour
• Additional pay for all staff members in the form of bonuses
• Paid vacation and sick time
• Staff discount
• A positive place to work with a great team
The Tool Shed is committed to providing accurate and affirming information about sexuality and sexual health within our Milwaukee-area community. We believe it is vital to lift up the voices, experiences, and wisdom of BIPOC and LGBTQIA people in the work of sexuality education. We strongly encourage applications from people who are members of those communities.
People who are fluent in Spanish and English are strongly encouraged to apply.
To submit your application electronically:
Submit a PDF of your cover letter and résumé via email to [email protected] Please put “Tool Shed May 2023 Job Application” in the email’s subject line. PLEASE SEND ALL ATTACHMENTS AS PDF. If you cannot save your files as PDF, please print and submit your cover letter and résumé as described below.
To submit your application in printed form:
Mail or drop off a printed cover letter and résumé at the Tool Shed, 2427 N Murray Ave., Milwaukee. Our regular hours of operation are 12pm–8pm Monday through Saturday, 12pm–5pm Sunday.
Thank you for your interest!